Saturday, July 06, 2013

 

The Real Reason to Celebrate the Fourth of July.



The Fourth of July is over and so are all the celebrations, which I have not been big on in my adult life. You can have the crowds, the noise, the accidents and the rush at every hospital emergency room in the country. Like I said, I’m not big on any of this. But, I am big on America.  Here’s why.

No other country can endure its trials and tribulations and make peaceful transitions of power like the good old U.S.A. 

Just look at Egypt for a comparison. In my lifetime, they have had violent overthrow of Farouk, Nasser, Sadat, Mubarak and now Morsi.  Are they having fun yet? Don’t think so.

The closest we came to a violent transition in my life was 1968. The country was bitterly divided over the Vietnam War. Race relations were extremely tense with the assassinations of Robert Kennedy and Dr. King. If we were ever going to have a violent overthrow, it was then.

But it didn’t happen.

And I don’t think it ever will. I truly believe that most Americans take great pride in our electoral process, even though it is far from perfect. It has become ingrained in our national culture that we maintain our history of peaceful transitions, even though our presidential elections get more and more slimy.  None the less, when the votes are counted, despite some dirty maneuverings by candidates and parties, we settle back and accept the legal decision about the results.  I don’t know how we have arrived at this as a nation, but I’m glad we have.  Other countries should take note, especially Egypt.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?