Thursday, November 01, 2012

 

Weather or Not, Here It Comes.






Our recent escape on Cape Cod from Storm Sandy took me back to my earliest recollection of a hurricane.  It was late August 1954 when Hurricane Carol came through and knocked down the TV transmitter tower for WBZ.   It was a big adventure for me and my siblings to go out for a walk after the storm.

We escaped Sandy without any trouble and only lost power for three hours.  Our safety was ensured last spring when I bought a power generator, so I didn’t have to use it, of course.

I’m also reminded how much weather forecasting and reporting has changed over the years.  Today, Boston TV stations have a beautiful young woman reporting the morning weather news, with modern broadcast technology.  I recall Don Kent sliding chalkboards in and out of the wall to show us a couple of views, which he probably drew by hand. 

Sandy was a terrible storm in New York, New Jersey and the Mid-Atlantic, so we were lucky here.  I have family in Maryland, so my wife and I were very concerned about Sandy’s wrath. 
 
What do you remember about your first big storm?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?