Saturday, January 22, 2011

 

Born Again Injured Person

Question: What's 63 years old, a little overweight, a step slower (OK, five steps slower) and black and blue all over?
Answer: Me playing softball.

In 2010, my first full year of retirement, I discovered Senior Softball on Cape Cod. So, after forty years, I signed up for playing in an organized softball league. And I found that my skill level was just where I had left it. My position in the batting order will give you an indication. I batted ninth in an eleven man line up.

The Cape Cod Senior Softball league is an outstanding experience for geezers like me. It consists of four divisions, based on age (55-61; 62-69;70-74; 75+). The league is very competitive and the play is intense. I'm amazed that I was able to contribute, since I'm not overly competitive myself, but I managed. Most importantly, it was a lot of fun and good for my overall health, even if my wife thought I was turning into a two legged chameleon, what with my multicolored skin due to injuries. This wasn't usually due to trauma. Just using a muscle that's been dormant for forty years can turn it black and blue.

I met some great guys and made new friends, an important part of the retired stage of life.

Well, here I am in Florida for the 2011 winter and starting a five month effort to condition my body for another season. Right now, that means going for one hour walks four or more days per week and saying no to the liquor cabinet more often than not. Like I said, I gotta get in better shape. Maybe I can move up to the number eight spot this year.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?